From November 8-12, 2012, I plan on being a part of the Celebrate Your Life 10th Anniversary, Sacred Pilgrimage. The event will host about 300 pilgrims through a weekend of spiritual self exploration, growth, learning and kinestetic experiences. Each person was also asked complete a sacred intention for the event.
I decided to break it all down by definition (from Dictionary.com):
pil·grim – noun
1. a person who journeys, especially a long distance, to some sacred place as an act of religious devotion: pilgrims to the Holy Land.
2. a traveler or wanderer, especially in a foreign place.
3. an original settler in a region.
4. ( initial capital letter ) one of the band of Puritans who founded the colony of Plymouth, Mass., in 1620.
5. a newcomer to a region or place, especially to the western U. S.
Over 30 live outside the U.S., definitely pilgrims. Plus anyone who has never been to Sedona meets pilgrim definiton #5.
Looks like most folks meet the “pilgrim” definition. How about meeting the “pilgrimage” criteria?
1. a journey, especially a long one, made to some sacred place as an act of religious devotion: a pilgrimage to Lourdes.
2. Islam . a. the Pilgrimage, hajj. b. ʿumrah.
3. any long journey, especially one undertaken as a quest or for a votive purpose, as to pay homage: a pilgrimage to the grave of Shakespeare.
Hmmm, lots of folks (over 180 from outside AZ) traveling some distances for this event. Including their “sacred intention”, they would be making a “pilgrimage” as definition #3 states. As for the folks from AZ, everyone is traveling and has a “sacred intention” = pilgrimage. On top of that, the event is being held at the Enchantment Resort which is located within the Boynton Canyon Vortex! This is powerful sacred ground to all who understand the spiritual significance of a “vortex”! Sacred place, check. Quest or votive purpose, check. I think we are good here.
Well, I feel a whole lot better knowing that everyone attending meets the definition of “Pilgrimage”. I still have to check on the Sedonans to see if the meet the “pilgrim” definition. What do you think?
Thanks and Blessings,
Mishka Productions is producer of the fabulous Celebrate Your Life Conference held annually in Chicago, IL and Phoenix, AZ. In November 2012 (8-12th), Celebrate your Life will hold it’s 10th Anniversary Sacred Pilgrimage in Sedona AZ at the Enchantment Resort, nestled within a powerful vortex in Boynton Canyon. You should join us: www.CelebrateYourLifeSedona.org